Impact of COVID-19 on the Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis Global Market to 2029
Dublin, Nov. 18, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — The “Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis – Opportunity Analysis and Forecasts to 2029” report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com’s offering.
Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) is the most common subtype of idiopathic interstitial pneumonias (IIPs), which belong to a group of rare diseases termed interstitial lung diseases (ILDs). Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) is a new and rapidly-establishing market, which, before 2011 was non-existent, with no approved pharmaceutical treatments for the chronic, debilitating disease, which has an abysmal prognosis. However, the last decade has seen a period of explosive growth in the IPF market following the entry of two pharmacological small molecule treatments; Roche’s Esbriet and Boehringer Ingelheim’s Ofev.
A number of growth drivers have emerged within the IPF market over the last five years, namely the acknowledgement of the lucrative IPF therapeutic market by pharmaceutical companies looking to meet the series of clinical unmet needs. These include both larger and smaller biotechnology companies alike. As such, the landscape will continue to evolve and the increasing uptake of current therapies and approval of new products will be the primary drivers of growth over the forecast period.
- The greatest drivers of growth in the global IPF market include the launch of six new pipeline therapies during the forecast period and an increasing diagnosed prevalence in many 7MM countries.
- The main barriers to growth in the IPF market include low diagnostic and treatment rates and the patent expiries of both Ofev and Esbriet in all markets.
- The late-stage pipeline products are completely distinct mechanisms of action both from each other and the available marketed therapies.
- The most important unmet needs in the IPF market are improved drug safety and efficacy and improvement in patient quality of life.
Key Questions Answered
- Which unmet needs are limiting the treatment of IPF in the 7MM?
- What strategies can the pharmaceutical industry employ to increase treatment rates for IPF? How should these strategies differ across different geographical markets?
- What effect will the launch of generics have on the sales of branded agents?
- What …